Friday, February 20, 2009

"December Ice"

Looking out my window that day I could see the ice forming on the branches and hear the ice pellets clicking on my windows. I was debating whether it would be a good idea to drive out to Natirar on a photo shoot in the ice and sleet  when most people, of course, would consider it a bad idea. Off I went and never regretted it because I got an amazing series of picture references for this painting as well as future paintings. The experience of that day was unforgettable too. After driving the approximate 2 miles into Natirar to park,  I guess I should not have been surprised to find out that I was the only one there. Since the path was covered with snow and ice, it took much longer to walk to the "spot" I wanted to photograph and I also got extremely tired trudging through the snow. It was eerie being alone in the acres and acres of 'devoid of another human being' park. With my sense of awareness heightened by the sights and sounds around me I found it exhilarating  but also slightly menacing. The sounds of  branches cracking under the weight of the ice and being wet, cold and tired and alone was disconcerting.  It was an unforgettable almost spiritual experience and I will never forget it.  I think I can squeeze a few more paintings from that photo shoot and will relive those feelings as I paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment