Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Eternity"


My son was about 9 years old when I caught him in what appeared to be a contemplative mood looking at the ceaseless motion of the sea. I had intended to use this painting as  an experiment with glazing therefore I chose a smaller size canvas because I was not familiar with the technique and wasn't sure if I could pull it off.  The underpainting was done in white and sepia tones and I proceeded from there to apply thin layers of transparent glazes. This was very time consuming and I have not done another painting using this technique since. I do want to try it again for a small landscape. I called it Eternity because staring out into the vast ocean is one of those iconic images on planet earth that comes closest to the concept of eternity. At least for me it is.

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing piece! May I ask when you completed this piece and when you think you might attempt this technique again?

    ReplyDelete